The life of Walter Bosse, born in Vienna on 13th November 1904, was already mapped out from the beginning, his parents having been academic painters. His father, Julius, was working over a long period as a portrait painter at the Zarist court in St. Petersburg.
He and his sister had early on discovered the fascination of forming. First they created figures from wax. After the WWI, Walter Bosse was sent to the Imperial Art School of the Museum of Art in Vienna. His first ornamentation teacher was Franz Cizek. He studied the subject of Ceramics with Professor Michael Powolny and then for another academic year with Professor Richard Riemerschmid, at the School of Applied Arts in Munich.
His biggest supporter, however, was Josef Hoffmann, who recognized Bosse’s talent and did his utmost to further his career.
His first international appearance was provided by the 1925 Paris Exhibition of Decorative Arts. Amongst others, he devoted his creativity to working for the Augarten manufactory.
Bosse was restless in searching for new materials. Finally, he found satisfaction in brass. Early ceramic models were used for brass castings. At times far more than 20 casters and chasers were employed in Vienna, international trade fairs were attended and there is evidence that already then products were exported to 108 countries and colonies.
After WWII Bosse found Herta Baller who became his supporter in business and his beloved in life. With them, the “black-golden” line reached it’s peak.
Due to massive economic and private problems Bosse moved to Iserlohn/Germany in the early 50s. The production in Vienna continued, under Herta Baller’s management. After her death, Baron Hans von Waldstaetten took over.
Since the end of the 20th century the production of “Modern Vienna Bronzes” is located in a small, sleepy village near the Austrian-Hungarian border. Walter Bosses’s legacy is carried on and upheld in the form of a micro-enterprise but with the same long-standing know-how and in the accustomed high quality.